Blossom in Wolvercote Community Orchard

Apple Blossom in Wolvercote Community Orchard

Nina Urai

OPT CEO Anna Eavis visited the Wolvercote Community Orchard just in time for the annual apple blossom to appear. Over 50 different old and forgotten local varieties of apple planted 30 years ago on this land owned by OPT. The Community Orchard is situated opposite the historic Trout Inn on Godstow Road and was created in 1994. 

In 1934, OPT purchased this land with the support of Philip Leslie Agnew, the publisher of Punch, in memory of his son, Ewan Agnew. Part was turned into allotments, still used today, and 60 years later the remaining area became a Community Orchard. The orchard was planted by the Wolvercote Tree Group, and today many rare and unusual apples, pears and quinces flourish, many of them local varieties. OPT charge an annual rent of a basket of apples, given at the annual Apple Day at harvest time.