Oxford Castle at 950 (1071-2021)
We are delighted to launch Oxford Castle at 950 (1071 – 2021), a year long celebration to mark this special anniversary. To find out more take a look at Debbie's latest blog "A green hill in the centre of the city"
(Photo credit - Chris Andrews)
Make sure to put Friday 19 November in your diary when a Son et Lumiere will play against the backdrop of St George’s Tower and D Wing between 6pm – 10pm at the Oxford Christmas Light Festival.
Oxford Castle – 950 years - Different roads lead to the same castle has been created by sound and light artists Ross Ashton (Projection Studio) and Karen Monid (Sound Artist). This project is a collaboration between OPT and TORCH, part of the Humanities division at the University of Oxford with researchers, alongside local historians and people from across the City bringing their ideas and stories together to create this unique full scale projection. Find more information and let us know you are coming HERE.
(Photo credit: TORCH, The Oxford Research Centre for The Humanities)
Throughout November it is OPT Members Month at Oxford Castle with a range of walks, talks and trails:
- Special Outside tours of Oxford Castle - 1 November, 8 November, 15 November, 22 November.
- Oxford City Walls Walk with OPT Trustee Julian Munby - Wednesday 10 November - 2pm - Click HERE to book
- Self-guided walks - Historic Oxford Castle Perimeter Walk: Beat the bounds of Oxford Castle by Oxford Archaeology - Click HERE to download
- Self-guided walks - Oxford's City Walls by Oxford Archaeology - Click HERE to download
- Oxford Castle Quarter Trail - take a walk around the Oxford Castle Quarter looking carefully to spot hidden objects and to answer questions about the site. Click Trail booklet Castle at 950 2021.pdf to download
- A lecture given by John Goodall, Architectural Editor of Country Life, who will share his expertise and entertain us with his knowledge of ‘The English Castle 1066-1650’ as part of our Chairman’s Lecture series - Bookings open on 2 November.
- From November check out the Castle Mound when a changing lighting spectacular will play each week in the run up to Christmas and the New Year.
- Don't forget OPT members get free entry to Oxford Castle & Prison so why not book a tour - call 01865 260666.
Keep checking back as more events will be added as we take our celebrations into 2022 and if you want to find out more about Oxford Castle and its regeneration click HERE.
Oxford Castle & Prison